Current:Home > FinanceLegendary U.S. World War II submarine located 3,000 feet underwater off the Philippines -Capitatum
Legendary U.S. World War II submarine located 3,000 feet underwater off the Philippines
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 08:49:13
The final resting place of an iconic U.S. Navy submarine that was sunk 80 years ago during World War II was located 3,000 feet below the ocean's surface, the Naval History and Heritage Command said Thursday.
The USS Harder – which earned the nickname "Hit 'em HARDER" – was found off the Philippine island of Luzon, sitting upright and "relatively intact" except for damage behind its conning tower from a Japanese depth charge, the command said. The sub was discovered using data collected by Tim Taylor, CEO of the Lost 52 Project, which works to locate the 52 submarines sunk during World War II.
The USS Harder, led by famed Cmdr. Samuel D. Dealey, earned a legendary reputation during its fifth patrol when it sunk three destroyers and heavily damaged two others in just four days, forcing a Japanese fleet to leave the area ahead of schedule, the command said. That early departure forced the Japanese commander to delay his carrier force in the Philippine Sea, which ultimately led to Japan being defeated in the ensuing battle.
But Harder's fortunes changed in late August 1944. Early on Aug. 22, Harder and USS Haddo destroyed three escort ships off the coast of Bataan. Joined by USS Hake later that night, the three vessels headed for Caiman Point, Luzon, before Haddo left to replenish its torpedo stockpile. Before dawn on Aug. 24, Hake sighted an enemy escort ship and patrol boat and plunged deep into the ocean to escape.
Japanese records later revealed Harder fired three times at the Japanese escort ship, but it evaded the torpedoes and began a series of depth charge attacks, sinking Harder and killing all 79 crewmembers.
The "excellent state of preservation of the site" and the quality of the data collected by Lost 52 allowed the Navy's History and Heritage Command to confirm the wreck was indeed Harder.
"Harder was lost in the course of victory. We must not forget that victory has a price, as does freedom," said NHHC Director Samuel J. Cox, U.S. Navy rear admiral (retired). "We are grateful that Lost 52 has given us the opportunity to once again honor the valor of the crew of the 'Hit 'em HARDER' submarine that sank the most Japanese warships – in particularly audacious attacks – under her legendary skipper, Cmdr. Sam Dealey."
Harder received the Presidential Unit Citation for her first five patrols and six battle stars for World War II service, and Cmdr. Dealey was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. During his career, Dealey also received a Navy Cross, two Gold Stars, and the Distinguished Service Cross.
Taylor, the Lost 52 Project CEO, previously located other submarines lost during World War II, including the USS Grayback, USS Stickleback, and USS Grunion. Taylor received a Distinguished Public Service Award from the Navy in 2021 for his work.
The Naval History and Heritage Command said the SS Harder wreck "represents the final resting place of sailors that gave their life in defense of the nation and should be respected by all parties as a war grave."
Other famed warships have been found in the waters off the Phillipines. In 2015, U.S. billionaire Paul Allen located the wreck of the Musashi, one of the two largest Japanese warships ever built, in the Philippines' Sibuyan Sea.
Last September, deep-sea explorers captured images of three shipwrecks from World War II's Battle of Midway, including the first up-close photos of a Japanese aircraft carrier since it sank during the historic battle in 1942.
- In:
- World War II
- Submarine
- Navy
- Philippines
Stephen Smith is a managing editor for CBSNews.com based in New York. A Washington, D.C. native, Steve was previously an editorial producer for the Washington Post, and has also worked in Los Angeles, Boston and Tokyo.
veryGood! (826)
Related
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Miley Cyrus' Mom Tish Cyrus Marries Dominic Purcell in Malibu Wedding
- Pet company says your dog can earn $100 promoting CBD-infused peanut butter treats
- Search for Maui wildfire victims continues as death toll rises to 114
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Trader Joe's recalls multigrain crackers after metal was found
- Japan’s Kishida to visit Fukushima plant to highlight safety before start of treated water release
- Tropical Storm Hilary menaces Mexico’s Baja coast, southwest US packing deadly rainfall
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Fire tears through historic Block Island hotel off coast of Rhode Island
Ranking
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- U.S., Japan and Australia to hold joint drills as tensions rise in South China Sea
- 2023 World Cup final recap: Spain beats England 1-0 for first title
- Inter Miami defeats Nashville: Messi wins Leagues Cup after penalty shootout
- Trump's 'stop
- Princess Charlotte and Prince William Cheer on Women's Soccer Team Before World Cup Final
- Court documents suggests reason for police raid of Kansas newspaper
- Opinion: Corporate ballpark names just don't have that special ring
Recommendation
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Sweden defeats co-host Australia to take third place at 2023 Women's World Cup
Maui water is unsafe even with filters, one of the lessons learned from fires in California
Scam artists are posing as Maui charities. Here's how to avoid getting duped.
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Surprise: Golfer makes two aces in four holes, celebrates with dive into lake
Talks between regional bloc and Niger’s junta yield little, an official tells The Associated Press
An author's journey to Antarctica — and motherhood — in 'The Quickening'